Over the years, a lot has been happening in photography and its demand has only increased. Several genres of photography have been established, and individuals all around the globe have created an affinity towards this art. Product photography, for instance, is now a vital part of every business that sells goods and services. These days, marketing of such goods and services is imperative which is precisely why it is essential to take several aspects into consideration before clicking product photos.
Some of the aspects which you should cater to are:-
- Background: Well obviously, a background can make or break a picture which is precisely why you should always use a crisp white background. In case it is being utilized for an E-commerce website or online store, you should make sure that you get the perfect white colour by editing in Photoshop. But in case you need to use a vivid background, ensure that the colours make the product stand out and not the other way around.
- Depth of field: In case the items are patterned, make sure that your DSLR is set to the lowest priority of the aperture. This will ensure that the focus is entirely on the subject, and the background will come out blurry. This is great if you want to initiate an interest in the picture and enhance its emphasis.
- Lighting: Probably the most important aspect of any image is its lighting. Without proper lighting, you can’t capture anything. In this genre, you will have to be meticulous about how to set up the lights. Some items will require back light while others will require bottom lighting. If you want to capture something great, you have to cater to lighting very carefully.
- Props: Capturing an item just against a plain background can look bland which is why you should also use some props. It can be anything which can add to the aesthetic appeal of the item you are capturing. You can also add props to the images while the post processing stage. This will give the customers a fair idea of the usability of the item.
- Reflection: Reflection can either be a good or a bad thing for you. The subtle reflection looks great, but there are certain reflections which should never be used. For instance, if you are capturing an item and your reflection comes in the mirror, you should immediately discard it. Also, make sure that you don’t force a reflection; it’s not mandatory.
- Shadow: To create good colour value, it’s important to have shadows where there is light; it complements them. If you cast a shadow over the item, it will help harmonize it with the environment.
- Sharpness: In order for the items to be portrayed in detail, it is important to ensure that the sharpness is accurate. Blurry and out of focus images have no place in the market which is why you should use a tripod if you don’t have a steady hand.